Mason and Hamlin style 5

Mike Masters agraffes@worldnet.att.net
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 17:35:24 +0000

Pam Jenkins wrote:

>Hello list...I'm a newcomer. First question...Has anyone out there ever
>tuned a mason and hamlin upright with a unique stringing mechanism? >This technology doesn't make use of tuning pins, but uses a square type >of screw that passes through a brass bar and pulls strings up or down. >Any info or history on this? I was flabbergasted when I saw it.  The >tuning "hammer" is inside the piano, supplied by the manufacturer.
>Thanks, Pam jenkins...southport Island, ME

	I have never experienced a Mason Screw Stringer before. The only one
that I have ever seen was at a PTG meeting at Jim Colemans shop when I
was in the cetral AZ chapter. From what I remember (this was a few years
ago) it tunes a little different in the aspect of how you set the pin.
In a piano with pins the pitch is always brought down from the sharp
side until the pitch is correct. In the Screw Stringers, The correct
pitch is achieved from the flat side. (If anone out there knows that I'm
wrong, please feel free to add some constructive criticism.)
	My understanding is that this screwtype design was phenominal. But all
of the other manufacturers would have to have changed their current
designs, and tuning pins had already been around long enough that they
weren't going to change.
	Also, from what I know, you're lucky that the wrench is still in the
piano. I've heard that a lot of techs removed the wrenches from the
piano and added them to their own case, leaving the next tech with a
small problem. I carry one but have never used it, I don't know if I
ever will. I still await the day that I am able to pull it out of my
tool kit and actually get to use it.
	The wrench is available from American Piano Supply Part #15150, or from
the supplier of your choice.

Mike Masters
Masters Piano Service
Lakewood, OH