1830 Playel upright

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 23:33:20 -0500

>The piano is a circa 1830 Playel upright, made in France for
>export to the US.

>What is the value of this piano if restored ?
>( If it is valuable, I might be more wary about trying to do-it-myself,
> or about doing a non-authentic restoration. )

  I'm assuming you mean this is a Pleyel, not a Playel.   You really need
to have somebody take a look at this piano.  It could be a find, perhaps
not, but it could be.  It is impossible to determine value over the net,
unseen.  Value is what people will pay for it.  There are some collectors
out there.

>What would it likely cost to have professionally restored ?

Again, impossible to tell without seeing the instrument and the extent of
repairs needed.

Please don't do this one yourself.  This is not a robust early 20th century
upright, which could tolerate learning on.  David Lamoreaux is a good one
to call.   Have him evaluate it, and then give us a report?    How about a
JPEG picture available to the interested?

In the field of harpsichords and early pianos,  we're used to travelling
states away.  Don't worry about awkward.  Just be prepared to pay a
reasonable charge for the time of the evaluator.

>My wife was referred to David Lamoreaux (I'm CC-ing this to David --
>I found his email address on the PTG web. ) but the piano is in
>Columbia Md., and we're in Charlottesville VA, so it's been a bit
>awkward trying to arrange for someone to look at it.
>

>---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---

ab

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos