Restringing

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 01:06:13 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> A few thoughts on stringing, if you don't mind....
>
> 1)     Pinblock Support. Probably we lose more sleep over this than is
> warranted. Modern pinblocks are generally tough enough
> to withstand stringing without any bottom support. As are the plates
> they are attached to. Pinblock bottom support is
> insurance, and as with all insurance policies, you'll not miss it
> unless it's not there. So do it, just don't panic if you
> happen to drive a pin in off to the side of your support block.

Sorry, Del, but I think the above should be qualified a bit. It was my
distinct impression that the original poster was restringing an old
baby grand which still had its original pinblock. There was no mention
of the block having been replaced. When restringing an old piano with
its original block I would contend that supporting the old block is
absolutely essential. My reasoning is that I, like probably everyone else
of the list, have seen many old pianos with delaminated pinblocks caused
by techs setting the old pins deeper into the block without bothering to
support it from below. If merely setting the old pins deeper can cause
delamination in an unsupported old block, then pounding in an entire
set of over-size pins in one is just asking for trouble-- the kind that
no tech trying to restring his first piano will likely be equipped to
handle. Adopting a practice of ALWAYS supporting the block from beneath--
whether setting the old pins, replacing a few, or all of them, or even
restringing with a new block--seems an easy way to insure against dis-
aster striking when you least expect it. Just one old, and maybe overly-
cautious tech's opinion, of course!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net