damper flange cords

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 10:24:24 -0500

What's Gosling Thread?

Sorry to jump in so late on this but I have strong opinions on the subject
because we do extensive retrofits of grand repetitions with cord for support
springs and we don't want the stuff breaking down in the near or far future.
My opinion is that ANY synthetic is liable to gas out and become brittle
over time.  My only faith is in natural fiber.

We currently use braided linen cord that used to be used for dial cord in
radios.  Renner makes a standard cotten cord.  "Silk" is great if it really
is silk.  Much of what is called silk is just shining synthetic that looks
like silk.  You can tell by burning it.  If it melts down it's synthetic.
If it burns and creates carbon it's natural.

If you must go with synthetic I recommend suture cord sold for piano
applications by Heckscher in London.

David Stanwood