[Fwd: Re: This temperament thing]

JElving JElving@aol.com
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 01:34:12 EST

In a message dated 1/20/98 3:45:07 PM EST, JIMRPT@aol.com writes:

<< For
 anyone to say, oh so condescendingly, that some music is  "substandard" seems
 to me to be elitism of the highest and worst order.  If dealing with persons
 who only play "substandard" music on their instrument will save me from the
 likes of the "classical crowd" (as defined by you) give me a customer list
 full of substandard types and I will be happy without regard as to which
 temperament they want on their instrument.

Here, here!

And, we must remember that the ''Classical'' music of our day, was the
''Popular'' music of its day, and was often times as unacceptable as what we
''may'' find unacceptable (or at least some of us).

Also, remember that not all the music of bygone eras, such as what we might
call ''better'' or ''classical'' music has survivied through the ages. Only
the cream of the crop is still around and being performed.

Just my $.02, for what it's worth.

John Elving, RPT (and music director)
San Leandro, CA
JElving@aol.com