Saddest O of the Week

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:26:02 -0800 (PST)

At 09:15 AM 1/22/98 -0700, Glenn wrote:

>>>Are pianos now out of the reach of the average person?
>>
>>A decent new piano can be had for about the same cost as the latest-rage
>>computer, and less than a lot of laptops............
>>
>>Leslie Bartlett
>

>Are you sure this is a good analogy?  A decent computer is now a "grand"
>(pun intended)!  A "latest rage" computer is three grand and so are decent
>laptops.  A car analogy might be better:  $18,000 for decent car - lasts xx
>years, etc.

If we are going to be realistic, we should quote the costs as $ per year. A
good acoustic piano will outlast a decent car at least 10 to 1. The laptop's
usable lifespan would be about 3 years, due to obsolescence if not technical
failure.

How long should we estimate that today's electronic keyboards will last
before people want to replace them?

The "O" (or insert your favorite brand and model) doesn't seem so sad looked
at this way.

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"My picture of the world keeps changing before I can get it in focus."
		-- Ashleigh Brilliant