Saddest O of the Week

A440A A440A@aol.com
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 14:58:46 EST

Susan writes:-
>If we are going to be realistic, we should quote the costs as $ per year. A
>good acoustic piano will outlast a decent car at least 10 to 1.

    I agree with Susan,  A really good Steinway piano is the cheapest
instrument you can own,  if you keep it long enough, and maintain it well.
Not only does it hold good value, it provides a musical experience for all
those years. What is that worth?
     We really don't know how long they can be good instruments.
There are 100 year old Steinways going back out into service with new boards,
etc.....
    So,  here is a thought that occurred to me as I surveyed the lost rim
lamination:
   What is the acoustical difference between those cases glued up with hide
glue, and the cases with the later developed stuff that is cured with
microwave?

Just a case in point, or a point,  just in case.
Regards,
Ed Foote