How similar are the scales...what should I tune with? -Reply

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 12:55:23 -0800

Who, me?  Well, as an aural tuner for over 20 years, I don't know if I can
be entirely objective, but, if you listen as you tune, you can certainly get in
the ballpark using some fairly generic curves on an ETD.  It's not worth
losing sleep over some pretty subtle differences here.  Weren't we just
talking about historical tunings being all but invisible to some?  If you, as a
tech cannot hear problems w/ a certain curve on a ETD, or that they need
a bit of fudging, it is questionable that your customer will either.  Just my
opinion
Steve ;-)

>>> ETomlinCF3 <ETomlinCF3@aol.com> 01/22/98 10:50am >>>
The scales are similar on all Consoles...44.5 inches tall now...even the
studio Yamaha has a similar scale.  The C1 and recent G1's are similar
enough
to use the same tuning on them.  Put a good tuning in the machine and go.
am sure Steve can chime in on this one.

Ed Tomlinson
Tomlinson Tuning and Repair

<<
 I am getting somewhat overwhelmed by the number of different Yamaha
piano
 models there are and which ones, (scalewise) are the same piano.
There
 must be at least 3 different models of consoles that have D#3 at their
 first treble note with 2 wound string notes following.  Does anyone have
 the scoop on this?  Same thing on the C-1 and G-1.  Is the scale the
same
 so one generic tuning would do in memory.  Does anyone have a list of
this
 kind of stuff?
 James Grebe
 R.P.T. of the P.T.G. from St. Louis
 pianoman@inlink.com
 "Success is not a goal, rather it is a way of life".