temperments, A=442, stability

A440A A440A@aol.com
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 06:49:44 EST

TITO asks
>...I personally like the idea of tuning in the
>temperments..my concern is the instrument..or
>should it be..?

Hi all,
     No, the temperaments give no cause for alarm.  I have been told by the
factory engineering department, via D. Grossi, that there is no danger to the
instrument from the tunings, even if taken to A-443.
    In a Young,  the max deviation from ET is 6 cents, and only two out of the
twelve go that sharp. There are others that are flattened.  Going to 442 is a
lot bigger change on the piano than going from ET to WT. (see last paragraph
(below) in relation to this)

     As far as should you?  That depends on the program.  A really nice well
tempered piano is out of place on a Ravel program, TME- (to my ear).   OTOH, a
Beethoven concerto calls for a Kirnberger or Young.  The differences in
concerto performance are outstanding. The piano sound is not lost in a haze of
tempering.  Modulations into the most expressive keys put the piano on top of
the orchestra with little force.  A pianist once described it as "power
steering".  The concerti sound different when the piano is able to be "in
key".
     We temperament crusaders, ( and 1% is too low a figure for us) need to be
cautious.  It is counterproductive to feed an uninitiated ear a  huge dose of
dissonance on first exposure.  You can ruin newbies on the idea in a hurry if
you scare them.
      Other musicians tend to get skittish  when you start talking about
changing the temperament.  Many don't really know what a "temperament" is, but
they know they are used to something,  and are seldom enthusiastic about
changing.
     If you want daring,  ask permission to put the piano in a Young(1799) for
the symphony rehearsal, (assuming the program calls for it)
This will be a pitch raise, so they can be prepared for a "loose" tuning.
Tune a VERY clean WT in the 8 cent pitch raise, (Sats, RCTS work great here!)
Don't make a big deal out of it with the musicians, just try to get permission
to quietly change the tuning.   If there is any problem,  the pitch raise
takes the heat, not the temperament, and you can change it back to ET in your
final tuning at the higher pitch.  Just don't go too far before you have some
credibility.  Also, if this is your first time to tune for them, AND you are
not comfortably experienced in the use of WT, you may want to shelve the
avante-garde for a little bit.  Don't do initial experimentation  in your
biggest performance venue, a  misunderstanding can ruin your reputation with
them !
Well tempered regards,
Ed Foote