California 1852

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 07:18:10 -0500

>Please... dig up more!
>
>Ed

 After that
>>he had an Astor and Company square made between 1799 and 1805 which is
>>still at Monticello, a rather pretty thing.
>>
>>Will dig up more if people are interested.

O.K.  Astor was John Jacob Astor who actually imported pianos from his
brother's shop in England.  He quickly discovered that he could make more
money dealing in furs.  Today it would have been 4 wh. dr. vehicles.

A bit more on John Behrent of Philadelphia:   He was advertising his
"extraordinary instrument, by the name of the pianoforte, in mahogany in
the manner of a harpsichord"  in 1775, the same year Mozart is playing away
on Viennese pianos.

There is little information on piano builders in America until after the
end of the Revolution,  for obvious reasons.  Shall we say, sales were not
good?   From 1789, Charles Albrecht was making English style pianos and
doing fairly well.  The conceit however was that imports were superior to
domestic so the trade was England was strong.  Dodds & Claus, working in
New York by1791, advertised that their product was better designed to
withstand the American climate.  Apparently they were not in business long.

Benjamin Crehore was building and selling pianos in Boston shortly after
1800, and has the distinction of having been published once in Grove's as
the first American piano builder.

The Franklin Music Manufactory, with builders Appleton, Hayts, and Babcock,
was founded in Boston in 1813, and immediately began making English style
cabinet uprights in addition to squares.  Alas, the squares outsold the
uprights, and the company ceased building by 1820.

Enough for now, yes?

ab

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos