Newton is back!

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:25:37 -0500

I LOVE YOU PEOPLE

Well, you folks sure had fun with my name, and I must admit I got
several laughs from the posts.

I did not try to find all the times my name appeared in, espe-
cially in "subject" lines, after all bandwidth if a valuable
commodity.

Ron, you need to put two more zeros after the point in my walk
MACH speed.

For taking my name I get to count coup on the following people.

    Miscreant       Offense Count
Guy                       14
Jon Page                  13
Ralph Martin               9
Roger Jolly                9
Danny Moore                8
Susan Kline                8
Jim Bryant                 7
Les Smith                  7
Ron Nossaman               7
Barrie,                    6
John Elving                5
Ed Foote                   4
Dan Hallett                2
Del                        2
Ed Carwithen               2
Kenneth W. Burton          2
Michael Jorgensen          2
Phil Bondi                 2
Vanderhoofven              2
Avery                      1
D. Purdy                   1
Elian Degen                1
Gina Carter                1
Jerry Hunt                 1
John Hartman               1
Keith A. McGavern          1
Kent Swafford              1
Leslie                     1
Rob Goodale, RPT           1
Rob Kiddell,               1
Willem Blees               1

Partial count             123  messages

And since you belabored me so much, I am returning the favor.

              Message extracts.

Guy
Newton is not here.

Kenneth W. Burton
> Newton is not here.

Susan Kline
Dear Newton, Welcome back.
search for "Newton" and "Hunt". <bg>

Phil Bondi
Newton will appreciate it too!...

Guy
>Poor Newton!

Kenneth W. Burton
Poor Newton!

Les Smith
PS Maybe Newton Hunt will have more to say on this subject when
he returns from vacation.

Jon Page
Newton, I'm back online as normal. :-)

Rob Kiddell,
Could you please convert 5859.375 pounds P.S.I. into Newtons of
force? 8-)

Kent Swafford
>IF YOU SEE THIS POST..... insert the name "Newton" somewhere in
every post you send for the next few days. Get it?

Possible topics might include the bad effects of fig newtons when
dropped behind grand fallboards, or perhaps Sir Isaac Newton as
the father of all the physics that is built into pianos, or
perhaps we could discuss the hunt we often undertake to discover
and eradicate the various piano squeaks, buzzes, and rattles.  It
could all make Newton's newton hunt, uh, search very productive
in a few days.

Don <drose@dlcwest.com>
I woundn't give a fig...Newton that is! LOL

Ron Nossaman
>IF YOU SEE THIS POST..... insert the name "Newton" somewhere in
>every post you send for the next few days. Get it?
>
>ps. If the whole idea offends you, don't participate. If you
feel you need
>to chastise me, don't forget to INSERT a NEWTON!
>Guy

Susan Kline
And of course, my physical address is on Newton Street,

From: A440A <A440A@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 20:32:23 EST
Subject: Re:  Newton
<<What you guys are doing to poor Newton is most unkind, and I
refuse <<to be a party to it.

yea, me neither........
Ed Foote

Willem Blees
You just became part of "it" by mentioning his name.

Barrie,
I wonder if Newton is enjoying his Rum

Barrei,
I wonder if Newton is enjoying his hand rolled cigis

Jon Page
This is only a test but I do know that Newton will like to know
that I am back on.

Barrie,
I wonder if that is one of Newton's Laws

Jim Bryant (FL)
>  Since Newton is on vacation I will try to take up the slack and
>  reply re: Brambach  :-)
>  Stephen I hope something here helps, although I am sure that Newton
>  could, and would, have said it better :-)

Guy
Or as Barrie says, one of Newton's laws. No need to get physics-al.

Jon Page
I'm sure Newton would agree.

David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT
I am sure that if Newton Hunt were here that he could help!  We
miss you, Newton!

Jon Page
I think Newton says the same thing.

Guy
>I think Newton says the same thing.
>Jon Page

Les Smith
FIRST, you are invoking NEWTON'S FIRST LAW: CYA!!!!! :-)

From: Roger Jolly <baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re; Newton Gate

Danny Moore (TX)
(I'm sure that Newton would agree, were he not on vacation!)

John Elving, RPT
Never tune for an inferior decorator, even if your name is
Newton!

Danny Moore
Subject: Re: Re; Newton Gate
Roger Jolly wrote:
> I wonder if our dear friend Newton will crow about a winter
> holiday, in advance next year.
The heck with vacation, I wonder what his wife calls those neat
little fig cookies she makes?

Jon Page
I bet Newton will think twice before announcing his departure and
say he will search for posts containing his name upon return.
That should be Newton's Second Law.

Roger Jolly
>I wonder if our dear friend Newton will crow about a winter
holiday, in >advance next year. Food for thought and commment.

Guy
I wonder if Newton knows what "coyote ugly" means??

Guy
Maybe Newton knows, but he's not here now, is he?

Guy
I bet it's more humid where Newton is relaxing than it is here, now.

John Elving, RPT
As they say, no Newton is good Newton (or something like that).

John Elving, RPT
That may be true, but you will surely need to HUNT for that
epidural layer.  This is something I learned while watching
*Newton's Apple* with my son on the boob tube.

From: Jerry Hunt <jhunt@geocities.com>
Subject: Re: Taxing Newton(was: HUNT for messages)

Guy
Aw.... come on Danny! :^) Newton wouldn't wimp out on this one!

From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
Subject: Re: Newton Re:  Refinishing

> Jim Bryant (FL)
>  Stephen I hope something here helps, although I am sure that
Newton >  could, and would, have said it better :-)

Ralph Martin
If Newton were on line now...he'd be sure to know.

Ralph Martin
I wonder where Newton gets his??

Ralph Martin
I should have let Newton answer this one.

Danny Moore (TX)
Even though Newton said I should get something else, I didn't
follow his advice, so now I'm having to Hunt for parts.

Ralph Martin
(I think our good friend Newton should answer this) (he's gonna kill us!)

Les Smith
Maybe that should be Wacko! Newton Hunt would know for sure.

Ron Nossaman
Say "Goodnight" Newton.

Elian Degen
anyway, I=B4ll check with Newton too

From: Edward Carwithen <musicman@eoni.com>
Subject: Newton
What you guys are doing to poor Newton is most unkind, and I
refuse to be a party to it.

Ed Carwithen
Newton would know!

Ron Nossaman
Say "Goodnight" Newton.

John Hartman RPT
Dear list and Newton

From: Susan Kline <skline@proaxis.com>
>I don't believe that rascal is going to give us any satisfaction by ever
>mentioning the matter. Come on, Newton!!
>
>Ralph Martin

Roger Jolly
The silence of our esteemed brother Newton is almost deafening!!!

Les Smith
Hi, Newton.
Welcome back. You were missed. The list just wasn't the same
without you. We often mentioned your name while you were gone! :-)

Jim Bryant (FL)
I am sure that when Newton gets home, on Monday, that he will
agree with me.

David
We miss you, Newton!

Jon Page
Hi Newton, any interesting reading?

Avery
Welcome back Newton!!!!

Jim Bryant (FL)
Hey y'all;
Newton is back !  He has solved the problem of Kimballs top of
the line, so our faith in him was not misplaced.  :-)
Welcome home Newton, we expect a short report on ceegars, liquid
refreeshments and activities during your absence
...........after all everyone has been taking up slack fo ya.  :-)

Christopher D. Purdy
There are a few caveats I could think of, perhaps
Newton will have some more when he returns!  (We miss you New-
ton!)

Les Smith
PS Did anyone mention that Kohler and Campbell once built a piano
called the "Newton"? No kidding.

Keith A. McGavern
Now that's a good one!   :-)

Susan
Just to put the cherry on top of the sundae, Newton gets home today.

Barrie
Not to be confused with Newton 's Law

Roger Jolly
Kind of reminds me of that ole tooner that worked out of the
Rump, who ran a great series of articals in by gone Journals, I'm
sure Newton knew him personally. Newton day is now D minus one.

Jon Page
Newton will be back tomorrow, maybe he'll have something to say:-)

Barrie
I bet this will bring a chuckle to Newton's chops

Barrie
Maybe Newton has a stake in them as well

Susan
Or will Jerry have to wait for Newton to get some real help? That
might make him late on his estimate.

Michael Jorgensen
   With Newton and CA glue it's likely possible.

Michael Jorgensen
     This is a pianotech list, you should be talking about items
like technical things about Hunt pianos and Newton pianos- Did
either of them ever build a piano with nauga?

Dan Hallett, Jr. RPT
If anyone could do it, Newton could figure it out.

Rob Goodale, RPT
It is located near the beautiful and ever-so-popular vacation
resort town of "Newton", Arizona. The Nagas run wild everywhere,
and are beautiful at this time of year.

Guy
corrected quote:
"Ptolemy made a universe that lasted 1400 years, Newton made a
universe that lasted 300 years...... Einstein has made a uni-
verse, and I don't know how long it will last."
               George Bernard Shaw

Dan Hallett, Jr. RPT
If anyone could do it, Newton could figure it out.

Joh Page
T minus 1 day to Newton.

John
Welcome home, Newton. We've missed you, over and over and over.
and over and over....We did indeed! Welcome Home, Newton!

Don, Susan, Roger
I couldn't give a fig (Newton of course)
Newton is the all new Imperial weights and measures. A New Ton is still
heavy and equals the weight of two model D's.
Steinway will modify their brochures to read Weight=1/2 a Newton.
I wonder what fraction of a Newton Newton weighs?
Shall we all start measuring weight by fractions of two Steinway D's?
Newton! Welcome home! (whenever) How was your trip?
I hope Newton won't mind a quote from a private post:
Jan 15th is the day I return from Cuba.
Have fun and don't say anything interesting until I get back.
Can we hold out? Can we keep our standards up? Can anyone find
another meaning for the word "Newton"? Remember, it has to be fun but dull!
Welcome home, Newton. We've missed you, over and over and over.

Avery
You mean someone hasn't been saving all the "Newton" posts in
order to forward them to him? It would have been a great time-
saver for him. :-)

Roger Jolly
Question! How on earth do we police Newton to ensure that he
follows through and reads all his valuable mail?  Maybe we could
devise some kind of test.

Les Smith
Probably Newton could, too!

Fred W. Tremper, RPT
Subject: Newton for Congress!!!
Do you think Newton should run for Congress?  Just think!  Newt Hunt!!!

Richard Wagner RPT
Hey, maybe someone could help me settle an argument I'm having
with a friend.  Was NEWT gingrich ON the HUNT for red october?
... Couldn't resist.

Susan, Jim, Ron
Although I am sure that Newton will be pleased of this description of
him it might be just a little 'tooooo' much don't you think??? :-)
Now, now ... tut.
So, you want to change the subject line from:
Re: Appraisal of old Chickering
to:
"Re: Appraisal of old Newton"?
Does anyone know the minimum age for Japan's Living Treasures?
They all seem as old as the hills. Sorting through all his posts
will age Mr. N. Hunt quite enough, IMHO.
Second the motion. Does this mean he will have to attend meetings
and wear one of those hats with horns?
No, NO!! He _mustn't_ wear a hat with horns! He might be mistaken
for a Nauga!  They're bringing in premium prices these days! He
would be in mortal danger, especially if he ever visited Waco!

Ron Nossaman
Are you back yet Newton?

Jon Page
Newton is going to wish he had stayed with that piana in Havana.

>Susan
>"Re: Appraisal of old Newton"?

Jon Page
Newton is going to wish he had stayed with that piana in Havana.

>Guy
>Def. #5 of "hunt" is kinda interesting..... Wonder who's bell
>will get >rung?  Of course, Newton (Isaac) WAS the first scien-
>tist to be buried at Westminster Abbey.... that's got a nice ring to it...
>and without Newton, we would all be stuck with black & white TVs....

Jon Page
I think #3 applies more to the feeling Newton will have after his
vacation with fine Havana cigars and Cuba Libres.

From: Jon Page <jpage@capecod.net>
Subject: Taxing Newton(was: HUNT for messages)
I hope Newton has time to file his quarterly income tax return
when he gets back on the 15th.
I just finished entering December's check book figures into
Quicken for last quarter results, then TurboTax will import
everything. All I have to do is hunt for more deductions.

Les Smith
Just ask Newton!

Leslie
I did hear some Newton guy was doing some marvelous things with figs...

Ron Nossaman
Maybe you should find out, make THAT your standard, and express
the weight of two D's in Hunts. We could make up a chart and
everything.  BTW, he walks at about MACH .00404. Perhaps Newtons
are really a unit of velocity.

Guy
new ton (n t 'n, ny t -) n.  [[after Sir Isaac NEWTON]] the unit
of force in the mks system; force which imparts to a mass of one
kilogram an acceleration of one meter per second per second:
abbrev. N

hunt (hunt) vt.  [[ME hunten  < OE huntian , prob. < base of
hentan , to seize < ? IE *kend- , var. of *kent-  > Goth
(fra)hinthan , to seize: see HAND]] 1 to go out to kill or catch
(game) for food or sport   2 to search eagerly or carefully for;
try to find   3 a) to pursue; chase; drive   b) to hound; harry;
persecute   4 a) to go through (a woods, fields, etc.) in pursuit
of game   b) to search (a place) carefully   5 to use (dogs or
horses) in chasing game  vi.    1 to go out after game; take part
in the chase   2 to search; seek   3 Bell Ringing  to change the
order of bells in a hunt: cf. HUNT (n.  5)  n.    1 the act of
hunting; the chase 2 a group of people who hunt together   3 a
district covered in hunting   4 a search   5 Bell Ringing  a
series of regularly varying sequences in ringing a group of from
five to twelve bells  hunt down   1 to pursue until successful in
catching or killing   2 to search for until successful in finding
hunt up   1 to hunt for; search for   2 to find by searching
Copyright (c) 1995 Compton's NewMedia, Inc.

Ron
Acknowledged receipt of the below message is redeemable in cash
or cookies by contacting Roger Jolly <baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca>
and naming your flavor.

Roger Jolly
Were there ever any pianos built in Newton?  Massachusetts that is.

Del
The Newton I know is not nearly as obnoxious as that other one.

Danny Moore
Hello and welcome home Newton!
As you can see, you were sorely missed by virtually everyone on
the list.  You're right, of course.  I did forget your name on
this one, but you were included on most of my posts.
Hope you had a great trip.  I sincerely appreciate your contribu-
tions to the list and, most of all, your sense of humor.

Newton Hunt wrote:
> Danny, you forgot my name.
>         Newton

Danny Moore
I certainly agree.  There's no telling how many bogus messages
he'll have to HUNT through.

Jim Bryant (FL)
  I am sure that when Newton gets home, on Monday, that he will
agree with me.  Conrad, I think that one of Newtons objectives
during this vacation was to visit the "nagau" ranches in the
Tampa area with an eye toward starting one at home.

Danny Moore
Oh, we must remember to share this with Newton Hunt when he gets
back from vacation!

Guy
Wow! What an idea! It's like....REAL bad news. My old Atlas says:
     NEWTON, KOHLER & CAMPBELL, See K&C numbers for uprights,
and........BRAMBACH !!! for grands. Can you imagine?? (wonder if
he knows)
     Only four "HUNTS" are listed, with no real info.

Ralph Martin
Have I told you guys and gals today how much I miss the posts
from our old friend ,Newton?

Danny Moore
Or we can wait 'til Newton gets back and ask his opinion.

Danny Moore
We probably should confirm this with Newton when he gets back.

Ed Foote
Or we can wait 'til Newton gets back and ask his opinion.

Ed Foote
You really think Newton would have an opinion on this?  nah,

Ron
Nothing fun going on in the ol' Pianotech Treehouse. Newton would
know what to do, he would Hunt something up.

Guy
At this point, thanks to his incredibly mature sense of humor,
kind understanding, love of his fellow humans, irrepressible
patience, adherence to moral values, admiration for technicians,
respect for life in general, and massive imbibing of rum, etc,
etc, he'll probably not kill any of us........on the other hand,
he might just delete anything that DOES have a "Newton"!
By the way, Sir Newton, if you can't find the festering wound
that started this foray,.......... yes... twas I.
GOTCHA!!

Ralph Martin
I should have let Newton answer this one.

ralph m martin
I once saw a newton a rock.
Silly ol' Ralph

Jim Bryant (FL)
Cause Newt don't got no "yankee" accent.  :-0, and you told us we
couldn't call you Newt !

Roger Jolly
Shame on you! for casting such aspersions on our beloved brother Newton.

Phil Bondi
..Hunting down all the Newton posts(!),

John Elving, RPT
First, Jim, you need to hunt for the right place, then practice,
practice, practice!

Gina Carter, Charlotte NC
Just turn it off. Then you won't be bothered with having to Hunt
for the lights.