temperments, A=442, stability

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:39:12 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Phil Bondi wrote:

> ..Gina, thanks for the reply..I'm not going to be able to tune twice either
> way..the performance rider reads Piano will be tuned to A=442 by 2:30PM on
> 1/30/98..that's it..and I'm booked all next week..I was given a *tip* on how to
> to give the impression of 442 and have the piano not really be at
> 442..deceptive..??..

Hi, Phil.

I've told the story before, but for many years I cared for a beautiful,
older Baldwin concert grand in a performing arts center. For many years
I tuned it at least once a week and fequently more often. We became good
friends and it would almost tune itself, always to A-440. One day the
music director for a well-known performer came in, made a big deal about
what a great ear he had and INSISTED that the piano be tuned to A-441. I
tuned the piano to A-440 and then went back to A and tweaked it up one
cps. When I called  "Mr. Great Ear" over, he pulled an electronic gizmo
out of his pocket, checked my A and pronounced the tuning "perfect". He
didn't even try it out. He was so pleased that although I was only sup-
posed to do the one tuning, he paid me to tune it again at intermission
and then tipped me on top of that--all in cash! That's the only time I
ever pulled that little trick and I'm not recommending that you try it.
It's just that when he made such a big deal about his "great ear", I
couldn't resist putting it to the test and it turned out that he car-
ried his "ear" in his pocket!

Les Smith