spinets back

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 14:08:28 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, pianoman wrote:

> Les,
> Sorry I have to disagree with you on the all until recent Baldwin spinets.
> I have tuned hundreds of them through the years and are probably my 2nd
> most favorite mass produced small piano.  Yamaha is my favorite.

Hi, Jim.

In my post I deliberately used the term spinet generically; you'll notice
that I did not mention Baldwin by name, even though the poster did. In the
rarefied world of the spinet piano, there were certainly many made that
were a lot worse than Baldwin's offerings. I am not a fan of the spinet
piano, however--any of them--and it's been a long time since I've tuned or
serviced one. However, I have to agree with Jim Coleman--given a choice
between tuning a Baldwin spinet, or an upright with a birdcage action, I'd
choose the spinet. Birdcages are for the birds!

Les Smith