pianotech-digest V1997 #480

David Boyce David@bouncer.force9.net
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:49:04 -0000

Hi folks,

Avery asked for comment on Seiler grands.  The only Seiler Grand I tuned
belonged to a customer who got given one for free, out af an old house that
was to be demolished.  It was about 90 years old, and the pedals and
trapwork completely missing, so I had to fit the lot.  The piano was of
high quality and came up well. A very fine, solid instrument  The lady
moved to England, and I rather miss the Seiler piano.
 I had a look at some new Seilers in London last October.  A grand and some
uprights.  My impression is that they are still made to a high standard. (I
played the grand and it sounded and felt very nice.) The German piano
manufacturing industry seems to have preserved a certain ethos - maybe it's
that there is a  market in Germany for traditional high-quality pianos.
The Seiler uprights boast some kind of little magnets incorporated in the
jacks, which are supposed to air rapid repitition.  Sounds a bit tenuous to
me!
Bast wishes,
David.
David@bouncer.force9.net