Temperaments

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:33:42 EST

<< For example, take a 200 year old piano, tune it with a
 Well Temperament and let a pianist tear loose with Beethoven's Opus 57.
 Long before the end of the first movement that "Well" temperament is go-
 ing to be "not so well". By the end of the second movement, it definite-
 ly is going to be "ailing". And by the end of the third movement--es-
 pecially if the pianist takes the repeat--that once "Well" temperament is
 probably going to be ready for intensive care and life-support systems! >>

The same would happen if you tried ET in this example.  Who said anything
about historical accuracy?  Who even knows what temperament Beethoven or
anyone else really used?  What you say is perfectly true, the temperaments
weren't accurately done and didn't stay.  What has that got to do with tuning
the modern piano and getting the very best sound from it?

It isn't "equal" unless it is and even if it is, is it really the best sound
for the piano or the music to be played upon it?  If you choose to tune ET as
your exclusive practice and you admit that it might not be perfect, what is
the effect that your "errors" have on the music?

None of my tunings are taken out of a book.  They are created for the piano
according to its own characteristics, the surroundings it is kept in and
sometimes but not usually for the specific music to be played upon it.  I
would never choose ET because it simply is and represents the lowest common
denominator of all the possibilities there are.

This is not done out of "arrogance" but simply because I have come to
understand that I can do much better than that which is considered standard
practice within the industry.  If you truly believe that we can go no further
or do no better than what is the status quo then that is your privilege.  You
are in the "mainstream" of things.  Personally, I do not feel comfortable
there and it is also my right and privilege to at least express what my
understanding is without being shouted down for it.

Styles come and go.  ET is on its way out. Remember, it's only "equal" if it
is and if it isn't, then it must be something else.  If it is something else,
it isn't "equal" so then, what is it?

Bill Bremmer RPT