Temperaments

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:21:44 -0600 (CST)

Rest deleted

>...ET is on its way out. Remember, it's only "equal" if it
>is and if it isn't, then it must be something else.  If it is something else,
>it isn't "equal" so then, what is it?
>
>Bill Bremmer RPT

I'm not certain I follow your esoteric reasoning along with your summary
here, Bill.  The world I live in isn't watching equal temperament fade into
oblivion, or to use your phrase, "ET is on its way out."  It is still the
standard goal, that is, at least on roughly 2500 pianos that I have
occasion to visit.

It seems you are taking something to the nth degree, and if we were even to
abide by your standards and your definitions, then your completed tunings
don't even measure up to what you claim them to be, whatever that is.  Mind
you, I'm not asking you to explain again.  You've done that very well in
your last post.

However, my basic understanding is that at some point items are discussed
from a reference point as generally understood.  Using that reference point
as a guideline gives us the opportunity to talk over the variables.

Speaking only for myself, of course, and not "...shouting you down..."

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731