No subject

Doug Richards drichard@qntm.com
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 00:52:44 -0800

Hi Anne,

I find myself catching up again on my digest of pianotech and your request about
pianos in early California history caught my eye.  One lead I can offer is on a
piano I saw while visiting Chico a few years ago.  There is a Mansion (sorry,
don't remember the name at the moment) that has been turned into a historical
monument or park or something in Chico that has a square grand that I think was
dated in the 1860's, but it could have been earlier (not sure now).  I do
remember that it had been restored and was perfectly playable.  My wife and I
were on the formal tour of the mansion when the tour guide ask if anyone in the
group played.  Yours truly volunteered and I was really impressed on the
condition, tone and all.  The guide told stories of how it got there...

I'm sure I could find the name of the place if you are still interested.

doug richards
San Jose, CA
------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:35:11 -0500
From: Anne Beetem <abeetem@wizard.net>
Subject: Re:California 1852

Here's the question:

What evidence do we have of what type of pianos in California in
1852?   I have direct knowledge of an 1859 cast iron frame Steinway square which
was shipped around South America by boat and still resides in the San Francisco
Bay area.   I know what types of pianos were being produced in the U.S. then.
A lot happened in those 7 years though in California and it was still quite
rough in 1852.   Information anybody?

Best,   Anne

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos