spinets

DGPEAKE DGPEAKE@aol.com
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 23:08:45 EST

<<
 Hi,
 Northern American techs.
 Today, for the first time in my 6 year old career as a piano tuner, I tuned
 a Baldwin spinet.
 Overhere we have all kinds of Eastern European PSO's.
 But those spinet things don't even have the shape of a piano.
 What a terrible job that must be to service them.
 Or don't you service them, and just throw them away like we will do with the
 Chinese and Russian junk .
 Tuning is not so bad, I think every physiotherapist would encourage the
 spinet
 models for tuners.
 And tuning doesn't take much time because nobody hears the difference if you
 take 45 minutes to tune or 3 hours.
 But please keep them on your side of the Atlantic.

 Vriendelijke groeten,
 Michiel van Loon
 Meppel
 Nederland
 http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvanloon
 tel/fax ++31 522 255160

I know it is easy to bash spinets.  Some will ask why I have a Betsy Ross
Spinet in my shop.  I am replacing the plastic parts and sell for around a
decent profit and cheaper than most pianos..  Why?  Because it is hard to find
pianos at a decent price for the beginning student and many who live in
apartments do not have room for anything less in size or can afford anything
more expensive.

I believe we as technicians need to service these instruments as well as the
expensive grands.  If you do not want to perform this service,  others will.
Many customers will upgrade to a better quality piano.  But they have to get a
start somewhere.  Otherwise the industry may take more of a downward spiral,
and we may not have pianos to service in the future.  Electronics will take
over, and we will be part of a dying art.

One more point.  Chances are, if the spinet customer upgrades, I may have a
hand in the sale and more $$$ in my pocket.  And a happy customer to boot!
Customers are the mainstay of our business.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR