A few thoughts on why pack animals wear blinders

Paul Graeber pgraeber@1connect.com
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 08:56:10 -0800

At 06:11 PM 1/18/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Les Smith wrote:
>-- snip --
>
>> Sorry, Ed, I gotta disagree, There'e a revolution in the making all right,
>> but it's not in tuning. The acoustic piano has been dying a slow, steady,
>> agonizing death for a long time now. The process is irreversable. The old,
>> great pianos were silenced long ago. Those that remain today will inevi-
>> tably follow in their wake. It's not a metter of "IF", it's only a matter
>> of "When". Instead of wasting their time studying archaic temperaments,
>> techs today would be well-advised to start taking courses in electronics
>> so that they will be able to adapt to servicing not the instruments of the
>> future, but the ones that are already here, and to whom the future unmis-
>> takably belongs.
>>
>> In case anyone hasn't noticed, Classical music is dead.
>-- snip --
>
>Les:
>
>If I were as pessimistic about the future of classical music as you, I'd
>be on the phone now asking my daughter for a job in the computer
>business.

A few thoughts on why pack animals wear blinders:

I thought nepotism was frowned on. Doesn't SMU?
I know its going to difficult, especially for you, but try  and learn the
electronic/acoustic connection.
I have never thought Les Smith to be a pessimist.  how about enlightenment?

>dave
>
>David M. Porritt, RPT
>Meadows School of the Arts
>Southern Methodist University