Old Chickering

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 19:44:08 -0500

>Just had a phone call from a dealer nearby who had a question about an
>"old" Chickering grand that he is considering purchasing.
>There is no serial number that he can find.... the piano was "rebuilt"
>around 10 years ago, refinished, new strings, sprayed plate, new keytops,
>very little else, if anything.
>
>He describes the thing as 6'4" with a wide tail. The one thing he did
>notice is that it has the original pinblock in at least three sections.
>
>His questions include age and possible value. I told him I'd need to see
>the beast, but would run it past the list to see if any ya'll had any
>thoughts.
>
>Any thoughts?

Paul,
    Yes,  it's too bad it was refinished, and they sprayed the plate, and
put on new keytops, for that has seriously degraded its value as an
antique.  Of course, that depends upon the refinish job.   I've seen a
number of potential treasures redone with what I call "plastic sauce"
replacing original finishes.  Go see the beast and tell us more.   There
must be a serial number somewhere in there, as they weren't just on the
plate necessarily.

ab

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos