Temperaments

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 08:59:36 -0600

Dear Mr. Bremmer,

I am happy you have such a *well* educated clientele. Mine unfortunately are
*not* so sophisticated. I am happy if the piano in question is within a
semitone of the correct pitch when I arrive. By the way, properly used a
*strobe* or other electronic device is a useful tool. I am sure you never
have a head cold and that your hearing is just as sharp on that 25th piano
of the week. I am equally glad that you realize that temperament does not a
piano tuning make. I do feel that by not taking time to explain to your
clients why you choose historical temperaments you are *helping* us poor old
lowly ET folks!

>So which would you prefer, Ma'am, option A or B?  Bye the way, have you ever
>heard a piano that someone tuned with a Strobe Tuner?"
>
>I find Micheal's observation very interesting.  He finds it remarkable how
>close some technicians come to what is being purported as "normal".  On a
>daily basis, it seems  inponderable how many technicians there might be who
>are not fulfilling contracts by Jim's standards.
>
>Of course, I don't offer "Option A or B" to my customers.  I do talk about the
>nature of tuning and temperament with them when I feel it is appropriate to do
>so.
>In my view,
>the difference I make with an HT is a proportinately very small part of the
>overall distinction I make for my self by offering a complete,  thorough  and
>competent piano service.
>
>When the customer wants to talk and have things explained, I am glad to do so.
>Otherwise, given the very hostile climate that the ET="normal" crowd has
>created, I prefer to combine two popular slogans as my motto whether it is in
>regard to tuning, voicing, regulation or any other service I might provide:
>
>"Don't ask, don't tell, just do it."
>
>Bill Bremmer RPT
>Madison, Wisconsin
Regards,