Painting upright plates

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 13:26:40 -0600

I just wanted to say that I just masked off and painted a plate in an
upright without pulling it and it came out great.  I scotchbrited it, steel
brushed it, TSP cleaned it.  Then I used Rust-O-Leum's "Metallic" line of
paint in an aerosol can.  I kept the shop extra dry so the plate would dry
quickly after cleaning.  It took a while to mask off the entire piano as
needed, but the finished product was great.  It was the perfect plate color
(I don't like them too copper or too yellowish) and I was amazed at how
great it looks.  It almost looks as good as my grand plates with much less
work.  The Rust-O-Leum product was found at Home Depot.  They also have a
clear coat.  I was able to fog out orange peel and inconsistencies.  Never
thought I could do so well with a spray can.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net