Beethoven in the Temperaments RE: Ed Foote CD

JIMRPT JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 20:58:36 EST

-------------------------------
Subject: Beethoven in the temperaments (ED Footes CD)
List;
The very first thing I 'must' say is that if you don't get a very verrry broad
smile on your face when you first examine the jewel case that the CD comes in
you have no humor in your soul !

  The piano (S&S 'D') is obviously well prepared and does nothing to detract
from the abilities of composer or the performance of Ms. Katahn.  Her artistry
at the keyboard is laudable and quite well received by this listener.  The
recording is clear and does allow one to listen to the music without being
taken off track by any obvious miking/mixing problems. My overall impressions
during my first listen were that everything was very well done and most
enjoyable.

  Now comes the part where I get to put in my little zings and displeasure
with the temperaments selected for the pieces played......don't hold your
breath it ain't gonna happen !  Remember I am a piano tech and not a music
critic so my discussion should be understood as relating to the
temperament/tuning and not the performance itself.  In any event there is
nothing negative I would have to say about the performance as Ms. Katahn does
not allow her obvious artistry and technique to intrude upon the music.  Any
negative comments I might have are just that, comments.  The totality of
performance is what counts and the totality of this CD is superb.

Notes:
 Track #1Pathtique-Grave-Allegro
  This selection starts off with a passage that I did not care for at all, no
suprise though I don't like it in ET either!   I found that I liked it less on
this recording.
Ed used what he identified as a "Prinz" temperament for this selection.  I
found the dissonance in some of the chord structures to be unsuitable to my
ear, primarily from 7:00 to 8:00 on the track, but nonetheless interesting.
Throughout the remainder of this track and the other two, Adagio-Cantabile and
Rondo-Allegro, I find the occasional mild 'wolf' appearance at unexpected
places interesting, though it added nothing to the music it likewise does
nothing that detracted from the selection.

Track #6 Rondo-Allegro commodo
  This is a selection I was not at all familiar with so it was probably the
best for me to listen to the presentation and not the music. Still in the
"Prinz" temp. I found the progression/regression to be somewhat stilted and
forced and chord structures to be unmelodic and strained, but I did not feel
that way on any of the other selections in "Prinz" so perhaps it is the music
I was objecting to and not the temp....I don't know.

Track #7 Adagio sostenuto (OP27, No.2, c#mi, Moonlight)
  This is the first of the "Young" temperament selections and I found myself
immediately drawn to the very compelling tonality and the, mostly, very subtle
differences in chord structure (I suppose that's what it was)  With a time of
5:45 it is not among the shorter selections on the disc but each time I
listen, I am disappointed that it ends so soon.  Very very nice. More. More.
Bravo!

Track #11 Adagio Molto- opening passages very mellow, no, very haunting as it
were. The changes and flavorings in these simple, yet complex, passages
offered by the intervals are very notiecable and I must say very pleasing to
the aural palate.  As the 'Young' was used in this selection the progressions
were smooth and at the same time just enough different to be compelling. I
found myself waiting for the next notes to see where it would go.
--------------------------

  I have picked the most different passages that combined comments from
others, on the playlist, as comments about each would make this a very long
post indeed.
  Of the two Temperaments presented I find that the "Young" is the most
suitable to my ear and does nothing to detract from enjoying the selections
therein.  I find that the "Prinz" is very interesting and while I might
explore further with the "Young" I would not be so compelled by the "Prinz".
Perhaps it's the 'vanilla' in me, but there it is.  The "Prinz" I find to be
much more emotive than the "Young" and I am sure this is to do with the
differing character of keys black to white and octave to octave.  This
differing character/color is there and while I do not find it unpleasent I
also find it not compelling. That said, I did really enjoy track #2, Adagio
cantabile.(Prinz)  Even there I found the ventures into the bass as flat
rather than dark, and ventures into the treble ever shriller rather than
brighter.

  I would not object to offering either of these temperaments to my clients
but I am not so sure that I would mention them either, unless the client
played an absolute preponderance of titles suited to them.

  I do not hesitate to recommend this  CD to anyone wishing to venture forth
in the exploration of "historical" temperaments or just wanting a good, long
lasting, great sounding, CD with some very nice music...in whatever
temperament!  Well worth the price and  Ed's pamphlet discussing HT & ET is a
valuable added bonus.

  In summary let me say well done Ed, an excellent recording that puts forth
some above average presentations and an excellent argument for exploring the
"historical" temperaments.  Well done indeed.
Jim Bryant (FL)

P.S. At this writing I have listened all afternoon and into the evening, both
while paying close attention and while doing paperwork in the office.  My
first impressions haven't changed but I might be just a 'tad' more accepting
of the "Prinz" than I was intially although my preference is still the
"Young".  So maybe Ed is onto something when he posited that HT might be an
aquired taste in some instances.