44 Cents Low

DGPEAKE DGPEAKE@aol.com
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 01:31:39 EST

<<
 It wasn't fun lowering these pianos, especially the Kawai KG-2. I felt like I
was committing a mortal sin. It won't hurt the pianos and sooner or later I'll
back over there pulling them back to A-440.

 When I saw Robert Gooddale's post I wondered if the circumstances were the
same. Robert did not say why he was asked to tune low.

 Sy Zabrocki--RPT

While I always maintain that we must service customers to their desires to
make them happy, I must insist that to do the job right, it must be tuned
right.  Leaving the pitch lower than A-440 is detrimental to what is heard
today, and as one grows up,  his ear is hearing A-440.  A church once told me
"it's just a Sunday School piano, and does not need tuning."  Really?  If kids
are singing Sunday School songs, they are training their ear to hear music at
A-440.  Why must we hinder their education by tuning less than A-440.  That
kid may end up being the next Van Cliburn.

If a customer calls and wants it tuned lower, that is where I draw the line
and refuse the job.  I have plently of customers who want me to do it right.
Another job will not break the bank for me.

Food for thought.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR