44 Cents Low

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:16:32 -0600

----------
> From: Danny Moore <danmoore@ih2000.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: 44 Cents Low
> Date: Tuesday, January 27, 1998 4:20 PM
>
> Thanks for that input Richard,
>
> I couldn't think of "resultant" when I wrote this the other night.
You
> pose an interesting question about supersonic freq. producing
> resultants.  It would be a little more difficult to demonstrate -
where
> would you find an oscilator to produce an supersonic tone?  Perhaps
if
> fed into a sound system, the resultant could be amplified while the
> supersonic fundamentals would be too high for the speakers to
reproduce.

And I was wondering if resultant was really the right term as I
havn't heard of it for a few.  I was talking to a roadie at a
rock-n-roll show about supersonic frequencies, and he said they were
commonaly used to (added to) sound system tests particularly in the
production of pink and white noise.  So I asked if he had two sources
of supersonics and he said yes, and then I asked if he could play two
super sonic tones together with the idea of producing audible
resultants.   "Lets go " he said, but then the key board roadie came
up and said, "The piano is ready to be tuned now"   So I never got to
hear the experiment.  Too bad.
	But I have been thinking, can't sounds be made from computers from a
BASIC
program.  Does BASIC have frequencies or can make frequencies above
20 K?  So you get one sound at 20,000 and another at 20,440, would
there be an audible resultant, and how loud would it be?  Given
todays  headphones there might be weak tones that couldn'b be head
before on loud speakers.
	Otherwise I thought of two audio frequency generators and what ever
amplification needed to get the results.  But surely some one has
tried this before. And if you really want something to think about,
wouldn't the resultant be a pure sine wave?  Perhaps the purest that
could be produced?

But I think I missed the golden opportunity at the auditorium with
the state of the art sound system with ultra amplification.  It might
be mega amplification  is the key.

> Yes, I do think the Tantric Monks produce tones lower than 20 cps.
> may, however, be a resultant frequency that we hear.  They are
actually
> trained to produce 3 independant tones simultaneously with their
vocal
> chords.  (I didn't say it was pretty, just interesting!)

> Danny Moore
> http://www.setexas.com/danmoore/

I have heard of that, but was never into the sonic montras or what
ever they are called.
On the flute for instance it is possible to produce two tones by the
way you blow over the hole. But for me it was very fleeting.  But
then I heard a guy in the park producing the double sounds on every
note, and he said to hum the note while you played it. And he hummed
fifths fourths and thirds.  Was it in ET or Kellner?  I dunno.  But
it seemed that some other sounds were comming out as a result of the
combining tones of the humming and flute.  Resultant.  nice word.
Richard Moody