Old Chickering

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 09:33:15 EST

>What year, Willem?   There is a Chickering web page which is taking
>registrations of these old instruments.  I can't recall the page now, but a
>search on Chickering will pull it up.   Mine is also "art case".   Did you
>refinish it yourself?  What was the finish?    When you replaced the hammer
>shanks were you able to match the weight and thickness?
>
>Obviously insatiably curious about older pianos,
>ab

I don't have the exact year, but it was around 1901 or so. I replaced the
h/s/f with Renners, and they were about the same weight and size. I had the
most trouble in the upper treble, where the angle is very accute. I do not
refinish piano, (I used to, but I was lousy at it, and it's too much work). It
is a beautifull mahogany veneer. I kept the old ivories, but every one who has
looked at the piano wants them off, and replaced with new shiny plastic. Up to
now I have resisted replacing them. If it means a sale, I'll do it, but only
after I have the check from the customer.

Wim