Buzzer's problem

Wed, 28 Jan 1998 12:22:57 -0800

Sergio,

(First of all, don't worry about your English. It is fully comprehensible to us. I am always amazed
by how well many Europeans speak and write the English language. I know it simply a matter of
education, but when I was in school it was almost considered un-American to study any other
language. Fortunately, that has changed in past years.)

You have basically three problems. None of which are going to be easy to solve. In fact, without
doing some major modifying of the original plate and soundboard assembly, you're not going to be
able to really solve them at all! You might be able to make them a bit less bad, however.

1)    The weak spot in the middle-treble section. This weak spot (what I, and many others in this
country, call the "killer octave") has two causes. First the stringing scale is not all it could be
through this region. To solve this problem, however, would require making a new bridge cap and
repining it to incorporate the different string lengths dictated by a new design. Second, there are
problems with the design of the soundboard in this piano. (Not to single out Steinway, most -- if
not all -- other large grand pianos share these problems.) The killer octave region can be greatly
improved -- in fact, it can be improved so much you'll wish you had at least 70 or 72 dampers on the
piano -- but to do so requires replacing the soundboard with one of a different design.

2)    The soft V-bar. It sounds as if the V-bar on this plate may be too soft for its intended
function. There are only two common reasons why this V-bar should be so badly grooved in a piano
built this recently. First, and probably most common, is mis-treatment by service technicians. The
second is that the iron may simply be too soft. It the problem is simply sloppy servicing then
reshaping it will solve at least that part of your problem. At least temporarily. If, however, the
metal is simply too soft the only certain solution I that I am aware of is to remove the plate, very
carefully grind a U-shaped groove along the center of the V-bar and insert a mild steel rod to act
as the string termination.

3)    The buzzy strings. This problem is characteristic of pianos using the so-called
"tuned-aliquot" stringing system at the front string termination. The string deflection angle across
the V-bar is not sufficient to adequately terminate the motion of the vibrating string. Hence, some
of the energy is allowed to bleed (transfer) from the speaking portion of the string to the string
segment between the V-bar and the counterbearing bar. This problem can be alleviated, but usually
not illuminated, by careful shaping of the V-bar AND the counterbearing bar. Since the string
segment between the V-bar and the counterbearing bar in this design is actually a "speaking" segment
itself it is sensitive to the shape and contour of BOTH the V-bar and the counterbearing bar. It is
not enough to simply remove the grooves in these bars. You have to verify that the radius of both
are correct. The radius of each should be no greater than 1.5 mm in the lower V-bar section and
should decrease to 0.75 mm in the top section. (In early 1995 I published an article in the Piano
Technicians Journal on this subject. With this article was an illustration showing the more-or-less
ideal shapes for these bars.)

As far as the buzzy strings are concerned, it is best to try to control them at their source than to
try to dampen them out with felt. Since this system is designed to allow some percentage of the
speaking strings energy to bleed past the V-bar, damping it will always result in a shorter sustain.
Since sustain is already a problem in these sections, this is not a good solution.

As far as string down bearing is concerned, the best way to determine that is to measure the string
deflection angle across the bridge (with the strings at tension). On most pianos there should be
between 0.5° and 0.75° at the start of the lower treble section and 1.0° and 1.5° at the top of the
upper treble section. Whatever you measure within these ranges will be acceptable.

I'm sure I've probably generated more questions than I've answered here. And this may well be more
involved in the piano than you want to get. But you can waste a lot of time trying to overcome basic
design features of the piano, if you're not careful.

Regards,

Del