Temperaments (In defense of Bill)

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 15:20:36 EST

<< Finally, Bill, would you post instructions to the list about the way you
 tune in 1/7 comma meantone?  I did it once, but can't remember everything I
 did, so I can't do it again!
  Peace,
 David
  David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT
 Joplin, Missouri, USA
 e-mail:  dkvander@clandjop.com

Dear David,
Here are the figures to directly program, (not as deviations of an FAC
program) an SAT to produce a 1/7 comma meantone in a piano with moderate
inharmonicity, i.e.  all Yamahas, Young Changs, Samick, Baldwins (except 7&9
foot grands) and the majority of other pianos but not Steinway, Kimball,
Kawai, Mason&Hamlin or Sohmer.

I will publish a complete list of figures for pianos of all degrees of
inharmonicity in the near future. I have had many requests to do so.  It will
be in the form of an article which I will submit to the Journal for
publication.  You will be able to tune any kind of meantone temperament, from
1/3 to 1/7 on any kind of piano flawlessly with these figures.  The method has
been proven time and again to be perfectly authentic and accurate.

Remember, ALL VALUES ARE READ ON OCTAVE 5.  You must manually reset the SAT
when you reach C4 to read on C5 instead of C6 as it will do automatically.  To
do this, press TUNE, then OCTAVE down so that C5 appears, then press PROGRAM
and continue storing the figures.

F3: 3.2   F#3: -2.4   G3: 1.6  G#3: -4.0  A3: 0.0   A#3: 4.0   B3: -1.6

C4: 2.4   C#4: -3.2   D4: 0.8   D#4: 4.8   E4: -0.8

Thank you for your kind words.  You may pass this info on to others but before
these figures are used in any widespread manner, it will be better to have the
complete list for other pianos and the explanation of how these figures were
determined and how to determine the relative amount of inharmonicity the piano
has.

This method was used at the infamous Baldwin Recital which was condemned and
libelled on this list by Gina Carter and also the same method with appropriate
figures was used at the HT Recital in Dearborn for Owen Jorgensen's Kawai
Grand which was tuned in 1/4 comma meantone.  He confirmed that the
temperament was flawlessly accurate and properly adjusted for inharmonicity.

This is knowledge I am willing to provide to this list and to the entire PTG
via the Journal.  The more hate mail I get, the more encouraged I'll be to get
it written up sooner.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin