sound

Tim Keenan & Rebecca Counts tkeenan@kermode.net
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 19:01:46 -0800

Ralph, Newton, et al:

ralph m martin wrote:

> Hi Newton
> I'm very aware of the pipe organ thing, it being my instrument. I just
> can't imagine those two little chords sounding those notes. It's like a
> violin attempting to play the bass fiddle part. I'd love to hear the
> monks do this!

There is some actual data on this stuff--unfortunately, I am a long way
from a University Library (if I have the time I'll try to see if I can
somehow find it on the net) but I read an article about it in an
anthropology journal--American Journal of Anthropology, perhaps?--and the
date would have been sometime in the 1970's, I think.  Perhaps as late as
1980.  I am a choral singer, and a former (still occasional) pipe organ
technician, and so I found this overlap interesting.  I don't believe
that the sounds produced by the monks are subsonic--what would be the
point of practising for years to make a sound no human can hear?--but
they are some kind of sub-harmonic.  I have heard the recordings, and the
note is a good octave below the low C in the Rachmaninoff Vespers, which
few basses can sing.  I must say it's an acquired taste, though--they
don't produce any kind of melody, the way the overtone singers of Eurasia
do--it is more of a monotone drone.

Many choral singers (at least in small choirs with good tuning) have
experienced resultants when there is an open fifth at the bottom of a
chord.  It helps to have a resonant building, too. I've heard it also
happens not infrequently in brass ensembles.  It is harder to see how a
single voice could produce a resultant of this type, however.

Tim Keenan
Terrace, BC