Windows and pianos

Wed, 28 Jan 1998 20:07:07 -0800

ETomlinCF3 wrote:

> Fellow Worried Techs,
>
> I live in Washington state where the sun never shines.  Liquid sunshine is
> predominant.  Please don't worry my piano will be fine.  Thank you for your
> concern.
>
> Ed

--------------------------------------

Ed,

First, let me remind you that quite a great deal of heat come from ultraviolet radiation from the
sun. It may not be quite as destructive as the real thing, but it is still damaging.

Second, one of the saddest situations I've encountered along this line was in Portland, Oregon. Just
as much rain there as in most of Washington state, except for where I live out in Grays Harbor.
Anyway, these folks had a new house built on the crest of one of the many hills in Southeast
Portland. It included a beautiful music room which housed several instruments including a Doud
harpsichord and a rather nice brand new black Steinway B. The piano was located in the south facing
bay window with its 16 foot tall glass windows and no window coverings of any kind. The first time I
tuned it (the first of two service calls included with the purchase) The music desk was so hot it
was actually painful to the touch. I put a blanket over the piano for a bit to cool it down before
tuning and got through it reasonably well. I left a note and said I would call later. That evening
(no one was home during the day except for the housekeeper) I called the owner to discuss what I saw
as a problem of placement. I was told -- firmly -- that there was nothing wrong with the placement
of the piano. The architect had designed that spot specifically for the piano and had assured her
that there was nothing wrong with its placement. In fact, he had placed an air conditioning duct
under that spot just to keep the piano cool! I hadn't noticed. By the time of my second visit the
tuning pins were already noticeably looser. I tuned the piano for a couple of years, watching it
deteriorate rapidly, before they decided to find another tuner who wouldn't always complain about
their beautiful music room. I've no idea what happened to the piano after that, but I doubt that it
could have gone much more that a couple more years without major problems.

Ah, well...

Regards,

Del