1/2 cent difference on unison

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 17:23:13 -0500

No, I tune the first string as well as I can, and then I tune the other
strings to the first.  The effect is not uniform, and I've decided that any
attempt to compensate may actually result in greater error, if in fact
there is error in the first place.

A purely aural tuning would be subject to this phenomenon, but the flatter
unison would not be noticed unless a sensitive ear checked it against a
fork before and after the second and third strings were tuned.  Since aural
tunings don't get checked and changed, I see no reason to do any
differently for one using a VTD.  Again, it's my philosophy of not worrying
too much about things we can't control, which we wouldn't know how to
control if we could, and which probably make no difference.

Frank Weston