Removing Plate

DGPEAKE@aol.com DGPEAKE@aol.com
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 20:43:37 EST

<<
 I am doing major work on a small grand (new strings, pins, hammers, dampers,
 keytops).  I don't do refinishing.  The owner, who is an accomplished do-it-
 yourselfer including finishing, wants to remove the plate inorder to refinish
 it (spraying gold) and the soundboard.  I know the pinblock is attached to
the
 plate.  If the owner removes the pinblock screws, will the pinblock stay in
 the piano when the plate is pulled.  Should I advise him against doing this.
 I have never replaced a pinblock or soundboard, so the answer is out of my
 knowledge.

 Thanks to group, again, for your help.

 Dick Day
 Marshall MI

Pull the plate yourself and make sure you are well compensated.  They are not
difficult and if you do not have a hoist,  a couple of extra hands will do.
My wife and father in law have helped me pull and resinstall plates.  I now
have a chain hoist which makes it much easier.

Unless it is a Steinway, chances are the pin block will come out with the
plate.  BTW, I highly recommend replacing the block as well.

I have had customers do their own refinishing and with suprisingly good
results.  Beyond that, I would not recommend them doing in other type of
service on pianos.  Even plates take some know how, such as bondoing the
imperfections on the cast iron before spraying.

Food for thought.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR