1/2 cent difference on unison

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 19:51:54 -0700 (MST)

Hi Bill:

Yes, you are right about it being faster to tune twice than to tune once.
The results are much more gratifying.

The one thing I do a little differently from you is that I strip the
middle like you do, but I tune the unisons of octave 5, 6, and 7 as I go.
And also, I reset the SAT sharp by .3 to .5 cents in octave 5 so that the
settled unisons effect leaves the octaves on the safe side. The center of
the piano seems not to have this effect of the full unison being flatter
than the single string. This is exactly what I did in the Chicago TuneOff
with Virgil plus tuning a little wider stretch in general.

When I used to tune for the Phoenix Symphony, I usually did as Ed mentioned
in tuning the side strings with the SAT and then the middle string by ear.

Jim Coleman, Sr.