Removing Plate

Thu, 29 Jan 1998 21:21:57 -0600

>Dick,

Variations on a theme:

>	Whenever I get into internal rebuilding, when removing the hardware. I
>have always used a cardboard box with a drawn in picture of the rim.
>then as i remove the plate hardware it goes directly onto the box in a
>corresponding location of where it was located in the piano.

I use a box lid with the plate drawn on it. Locations of all screws are
marked and holes are punched (w/#1 Phillips) in those spots. The screws can
then be screwed into the cardboard in their respective positions. Nose bolts
get a strip of masking tape.

for positioning I use wedges placed vertically between plate and rim or
stretcher and pencil lines marked to show how far they go down. the position
and number are written on lid. usually I do: 1-bass corner/rim, 2-bass
corner/stretcher, 3-treb.corner/stretcher, 4-treb.corner/rim, 5-far end of
plate/rim.

If you are repainting the screw tops (as you should if you're repainting the
plate) the lid can be used for spraying all at the same time, and a logical
sequence of wedge placement will compensate for painting over your drawing.

As others have said, good luck.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT		hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu
Luther College Music Technician	pno2ner@salamander.com
Decorah, Iowa 52101		Voice 	(319)-387-1204
				Fax	(319)-387-1076

Oh wad some power the giftie gie us; to see oursel's as others see us!
It wad some monie a blunder free us, and foolish notion. - Robert Burns