1/2 cent difference on unison

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 00:16:37 EST

<<  The first string
 must have been knocked down a hair when tuning the second string, and
 isn't caught until the unison is completed and checked again.  So one
 learns to tune a little higher... hmm  I wonder...   >>

    This is what I talked about in a recent post.  We have to be careful that
we know which we are dealing with, instability or the coupled motion effect,
perhaps a little of both.  It takes time and effort to establish a balance of
tension on a piano that is stable.  There are ways to do this efficiently but
"unless your piano is already in tune, you aren't really going to be able to
tune it".   This is a wise old saying that I learned long ago and keep in mind
at all times.

    There was a great old tuner in our town who lived to age 96 and tuned well
into his 90's.  He always told me with a wink in his eye,  "The secret is, ya
tune 'em a little sharp!"

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin