1/2 cent difference on unison

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 00:41:33 EST

<< A440 lowered 1/2 cent is 439.873  or a diff of .125 bps. or  one beat
 in 8 seconds.  >>

Franz Mohr often told the tale of when Horowitz suggested one day that the
piano be tuned at  A439 1/2!

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin

P.S.  I often think I actually use this to my advantage.  Since I tune
exclusively in the HT's, I want may "average pitch" to approximate Standard
Pitch as much as possible.  Setting the note A3 to 0.0, read on octave 5
pushes A4 about a cent or so flat of absolute A4 at A-440.  The coupled motion
of strings effect lowers this another 1/2 cent or so.  But I'll be Gorsh-
Derned if that ain't just about where the pitch should be for the average
pitch to be just right!

I have often tuned for a piano concerto with the local symphony orchestra.
The oboeist, who's last name happens to be "Fink", has never told on me or had
a problem with my "A" when the Concertmaster comes out and bangs on it for the
orchestra to tune to.  He has a Korg tuner and the needle seems to go right up
to where it should as far as he is concerned.  When he plays the A on his
oboe, it seems like the same note to him!  (Have you ever noticed that they
tune quite differently than we do?  They wait until the sound stops, play
their pitch and try to guess at whether the pitch they acheive was the same as
the one they heard and is correct?).  At perhaps 1 1/2 cents or so low, my
pitch is still well within the PTG resolution specification of "A-440, + or -
1 c.p.s."  If I really wanted my A4 to be at absolute 440, all I'd have to do
would be to tune with an offset that would correct it.  I have never done that
however, because I'm comfortable knowing that my pitch will be compatible with
all other instruments just as I have set it.