Temperaments -Reply

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:01:54 -0800

you wrote:<Today, I heard, for the first time in a long time, a CD of
Benjamin
Britten's "Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings" (recorded 1944). Dennis
Brain plays some amazing french horn solos wherin some notes sound
incredibly out of tune. There is one note that could easily be 50 cents
flat. But the effect is tremendous: the intonation of every note seems
to have been chosen for a particular purpose rather than simply being
"out of tune". I would describe it, from my ET perspective, as knowing
the rules of equal temperament and knowing when to break them.>
Without touching on the HT vs ET controversy, It is interesting that you
mentioned the Britten "Serenade".  The french horn is speciffically
instructed to play "natural", that is, without using the valves, and playing
only the natural harmonics of the horn.  It is indeed a lovely effect, but it is
just that: an effect. And as a violist myself, I can attest that we string
players, and indeed all instrumentalists, have a very different take on
pitch, which is why you will hear violists (and violinists) fudging their
thirds and sevenths, or tuning their low strings directly to the piano rather
than the perfect fifths we use in an orchestra setting.  Standardization
wouldn't exactly describe it....
Steve