TP coils

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 20:44:18 +0000

> I can't speak about any other factories, but when I complained about this practice at
> Baldwin I was told that this practice had been developed to prevent the string from
> slipping out of the hole. (In Baldwin's case the string goes entirely through the hole in
> the pin -- by several mm -- and is then bent back around the pin making its removal quite
> difficult.) When I pointed out that if the string was simply inserted into the hole and
> made flush with the other end the string would still be held quite securely, I was told
> that in the rush of production they couldn't be sure that the stringer would get the
> string all the way to the end of the hole unless they had this visual aid. Apparently, at
> one time in the companies history, one or two had come loose. It also made pulling the
> coils up tight somewhat easier since there were now two mechanical stops; one on each side
> of the pin.
>
> This practice was -- and still is, I think -- restricted to the vertical pianos only.
> Apparently the grand stringers are able to figure out where the end of the hole is all on
> their own.

When I was down in Arkansas last year, I found that the verticals
were machine coiled, hence the bend on the becket (spelled
correctly, the other is a playwright) and the grands (different
factory) were hand-coiled, with no extra bend.

In all the re-stringing I have done (I have the thumb-scar to prove),
I have found beckets are pretty tough to slip, if no lubricants have
been introduced (by this, I mean the practice of spraying WD-40 on
rusted tuning pins to make them look less oxidized).

> When destringing one of these pianos the "coil-breaker" tools
don't work very well. They
> get hung up on the bent-over end. I even tried getting in there with a modified cold
> chisel. In the end, I found it was often easier to simply cut the wire as close to the pin
> as possible and back the whole mess out together. Pin, coil and everything. Yes, well, as
0> I said, it's a mess. It was just a bit less bad than the
alternatives.

I removed two bass strings from a Baldwin  243 (Hamilton) today, and
using a large, flat-bladed screwdriver, was successful in snapping off
the extra bend in the becket and removing the coil intact.

> -- ddf
>
> ------------------------

Del,   I enjoyed your classes at Banff, and look forward to more
meetings in the future,

Regards,

Rob Kiddell,
Registered Piano Technician, PTG