Temperaments

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 17:29:30 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> Les,
>
> Both Chopin and a really good modern jazz pianist would have understood.

Absolutely! As I wrote that post, I was thinking of modern jazz and won-
dering how many performers realize that many of the harmonic devices
they use today go back to a dude named Fred who died a century and a
half ago! Kinda makes one wonder if Chopin were alive today, whether he
might not be in a smoke-filled club somewhere, playing a computer-inter-
faced, high-end, state-of-the-art, digital piano, with its sound-sampling
taken from a Steinway D, and which would give him the ability to alter
pitch, key AND temperament, with merely the flip if a switch, huh? It
could even do his orchestration for him when he wrote his next piano
concerto and then play back the whole thing from memory as he sat on
the sidelines, listening himself playing, while drinking an Old Mil-
waukee beer and contemplating its slogan: It doesn't get any better
than this! :)

Les Smith