Chopin and Beer

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 18:49:09 -0500

>On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
>>
>> Les,
>>
>> Both Chopin and a really good modern jazz pianist would have understood.
>
>Absolutely! As I wrote that post, I was thinking of modern jazz and won-
>dering how many performers realize that many of the harmonic devices
>they use today go back to a dude named Fred who died a century and a
>half ago! Kinda makes one wonder if Chopin were alive today, whether he
>might not be in a smoke-filled club somewhere, playing a computer-inter-
>faced, high-end, state-of-the-art, digital piano, with its sound-sampling
>taken from a Steinway D, and which would give him the ability to alter
>pitch, key AND temperament, with merely the flip if a switch, huh? It
>could even do his orchestration for him when he wrote his next piano
>concerto and then play back the whole thing from memory as he sat on
>the sidelines, listening himself playing, while drinking an Old Mil-
>waukee beer and contemplating its slogan: It doesn't get any better
>than this! :)
>
>Les Smith

Now, now,  Chopin wore elegant clothes,  hung out in elegant salons.  He
would be drinking very expensive wine, while Georges Sand would truly enjoy
trying out some of the new cigars.

I also truly believe that he would not eschew the still far unmatched
beauty of the acoustic grand piano.

Anne

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos