Chopin and pianos (was temperaments)

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 19:16:22 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Anne Beetem wrote:

> Czerny noted that Beethoven had a Walther
> in his apartment when even this late of sonata was written.

I always thought it ironic that supposedly, when Czerny went to audition
for Beethoven in the hopes of becoming a student, that although Beethoven
accepted him, he noted that Czerny's technique was poorly-developed and
needed a lot of work! To this day, the culmination of Carl's many didactic
works, "The School of the Virtuoso", remains worth exploring by pianists
interested in doing just that.

Les Smith