Impact tuning hammer

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 21:39:14 -0500

Hi Rogerio!

The impact is produced in the side-to-side motion by the weight at the end
of the handle.  The harder the handle is flung to the end of its travel,
the harder the impact produced by the weight to turn the pin.  You'll have
to hold the hammer near the head and work it by flicking your wrist.  Keep
the head lubricated -- it must move very freely for it to work properly.
Otherwise, excess friction will absorb a lot of the energy that should go
into the impact.

Hope this helps ---

ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net

----------
From: ROGERIO OLIVEIRA DA CUNHA <rogeriocunha@openlink.com.br>
To: Pianotech Mensagem <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Impact tuning hammer
Date: Friday, January 30, 1998 1:13 PM

Hello list
There are few time that I send to the list a question about the use of
impact tuning hammer. I was surprised with the answers and bought an impact
tuning hammer from APSCO. I received it this week and today I went to tune
an upright that was out of tune and by the first time I used it. I don't
know if I used it in a wrong mode or if it's broken because the only
difference I feel was that it have a moving side to side before the tuning
pin start moving.  I was waiting for some impact to turn the tuning pin. I
did the same effort as is was using a common tuning hammer. I would like to
receive some explanation about this.
Rogerio Cunha - IC Member of the Guild  - Rio  -Brasil