piano differences

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 21:27:57 -0600

Dear list,
One of the things that experimentors and designers like Del talk about is
the sameness of most modern pianos and how that is a detriment to the
trade.  I believe one reason why that is true is because of the state that
classical music is in presently.
	Last year at the Van Cliburn competition we were told that they were 3
basic pianos represented, Syeinway, Hamburg Steinway, and Kawai.  As I
remember the American Steinway was the most chosen except for solo use
where the Hamburg was used some.  Why not the Kawai.  I believe that the
artists know that to win they have to subscribe to what they believe is the
winning sound, the American Steinway.  It doesn't matter that another make
might be better or different.  The critics are listening to one thing, the
Steinway sound.  Because the participants know this they perform on the
same.  Claqssical music is so narrow of a range as far as sound goes that
it isn't funny any more.  In order to be taken seriously you have to
perform on a B or D.  Nothing else seems to matter.  I'm sure that there
are other pianos out there which can do a suitable job for the music.  And
who says you have to have a 7-9' piano to always perform these works.
There are many 6' pianos that are just as capable except for the low bass
as the 7-9' pianos.  Why can't we hear classical works on the more popular
size pianos that the average person can afford.
Does anyone else have any thoughts on this.  I am curious.