Temperaments (In defense of Bill)

Vince Mrykalo vince@byu.edu
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 22:10:44 -0600

All this reminds me of the booklet written, I think, in the '60's by a Mr.
Link entitled "Marpurg's I", of course referring to one of Marpurg's
temperaments (he named them by letter). It was cited in there that no one
really tunes a perfectly equal temperament, and further,  the variations
therein were not always consistent. In fact he contended that the slight
variations contained in the "I" really made a difference worth persuing,
e.g., equally beating M3 and m3 that make up some of the triads in that
temperament to name one.

Anyway, none of this is new; it has been around a while, catching fire with
some here and there from time to time.  HT's will never gain much in
popularity; it will always have a small following.  It's pedantic and just
doesn't do a whole heck of a lot improving on such a hopeless situation as
equal temperament.

I just don't hear any great value in tuning certain keys more out of tune
than other keys.  They're just more or less out of tune.  I fail to hear
"colors" or "moods" in keys that are more out of tune than others.  Oh
well... hopelessly bourgeois.

Vince Mrykalo RPT

>What I have been trying to do in this discussion is to disspell some commonly
>held beliefs that are really myths...

>When you tuned
>aurally, your temperaments were close to being equal but probably contained
>some error and inconsistency...

>As time went on,... your temperaments probably did gravitate toward a
>state of true equality.
>
>My argument is, and will remain, that this alone was not necessarily an
>improvement.  I will concede that most technicians of today believe that if
>they can create a perfectly equalized scale, then they will have produced an
>ideal tuning.  This is an idea which I believe to be ill-conceived and
>misguided.
>
>It is difficult to challenge and to try to change people's opinions about
>long-held views that are admittedly the concensus of opinion.  I do believe
>that it will eventually be done though.  There was a time when the concensus
>of opinion was that the earth was flat...

>By continuing to study the art of tuning and temperament, by having
Historical