"Pecking Order"

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 15:05:56 EST

I have been trying to follow the technical information presented on the
subject of HT and ET, with objectivity and ignore the flare-ups.  This has not
been an easy task.

I'm curious to know whether anyone else is under the same impression that this
whole fray started when Bill flamed Conrad a while back for a post called
"Horrible Example"? That flame was the first post I recall seeing from Bill,
and it was not typical of the way most people introduce themselves on the
list.

There is no pecking order here, but we haven't all been here the same length
of time, and some names are more familiar then others.  When someone new
enters the room and proceeds to attack one of the long time residents, it's
going to cause  resistance.  So when you begin discussing another subject, it
doesn't matter what the topic, you'll get a fight if you say that a cloudless
sky is blue.

Maybe Bill had been on the list before, but I don't recall seeing any other
posts from him.  It's clear that he knows a lot about tuning, but that first
post to Conrad was a real 'in your face' attack.  I think a lot of us read it
and thought,"Geeze, this guy has a big stick up his butt." (maybe not those
particular words)  And that's what was (is) remembered when we see new posts.

That original flame, in my opinion, is the root of the ongoing tensions.
Seems to this recently thawed Downeaster anyway that the topic of tempering
something causes blood to boil is just a bit too ironic.

Am I missing something here?

Gordon Large, RPT
Maine
(ready to take the gloves off)