"Pecking Order"

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 12:57:43 -0800 (PST)

Dear Gordon,

Bill's first post to the list, that I have any record of, was on 10/29/97,
and had the subject line:
>Do you know this Man ??/Dr. Braide White/John Travis/Jim Coleman/Pure 5ths
It included:
>     I find much more of this going on than I am comfortable with.  All those
>who CONDEMN the use of Historical Temperaments inevitably tune in Reverse
>Well.  So much so, that I have come up with a proverbe for it:  "He who
>tuneth in Reverse Well believeth in all his heart that his temperament is
>Equal and shall cast stones against those who speaketh the truth against him"
> William 1:1

So you see, he has been very consistent, from the first.

Bill then wrote a quite interesting post about regulating uprights for
maximum repetition, shortly before his outburst. I was preparing a reply,
but it was going to be a bit ticklish, and I was busy. It was ticklish
because among his excellent procedures and interesting ideas was a fairly
obvious howler, as follows:

>all of the cushioning which supports the hammer blow: the back
>rail cloth, the butt cushion, the rest rail cloth and the rest rail shims are
>at their softest and thickest.  All of these materials compress over time and
>therefore, the blow AND the aftertouch gradually decrease.

What had me stopped was how to ask _very, VERY_ diplomatically how
compression of the rest rail shims and hammer rest rail cloth could
_decrease_ blow, while making it clear that I considered the rest of the
post worthy and interesting.

I was still struggling with this when he took it out of my hands by
attacking Conrad's post. After that, the atmosphere was so hostile that I
couldn't even attempt it. Anything I said, however I said it, would be
construed as an attack.

See for yourself: 11/13/97, "speeding upright repetition"

I intend to make a purely technical response to "ht and et" as soon as I
have the time, in a day or so. It did have a few technical points which
could be investigated. The personal abuse I'll deal with privately, as I
should have done with the last round.

We both can use all the charity the list can muster, IMHO.

Susan