historical vs. equal temperament

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 02:22:30 EDT

In a message dated 6/24/98 9:01:54 AM Central Daylight Time,
dporritt@swbell.net writes:

<< I promote the use of appropriate HTs here and offer to tune them.  I don't
 really get any takers.  I'm glad I can do this.  Personally, I don't like
 listening to HTs.  I have heard ET for 59 years, and the others just sound
 "wrong" to me.  I admit it is just a personal preference not a value
 judgement.  IMHO ET really is the final improved search for the ideal
 temperament.

 I also believe that there are key colors even in absolute ET.  I can't
explain
 how, but I hear it.  I've never been one to discount something simply because
 can't explain it.

 dave >>

These are the usual remarks I hear from those who really can and only want to
tune ET.  Funny how just before I left on my trip last week, a 10 year old
girl met me at the curb, showed me to the piano and confidently requested 1/7
comma Meantone by name adding that "...the chords just don't sound right in
ET".

Only in Madison, Wisconsin, I suppose but there are those who can "offer" just
about anything and with the right approach and attitude could literally sell
ice to an Eskimo.  I have always noticed how those who don't really like the
HT's always claim that virtually no one wants them.

Those who hear "key colors" in ET are truly deluding themselves or else what
they tune is not really ET.  You can't have color on Black and White film.
Now, there are many photographers who prefer to work in Black & White  (B&W)
and sometimes they add some "colorization" for effect.  You can only get key
"colors" or distinction in tonality if you use a tonal temperament such as a
WT, Meantone or Modified Meantone.  Some of the Quasi-ET's have a slight
effect like the deliberate colorization of an otherwise B&W photo.

It is my opinion that those who claim they can hear color in ET really do want
to hear tonal distinction and so they do.  You can imagine color while looking
at a B&W image.  You can imagine the color that should be in the music when
you have ET.  But that's all it is, your imagination.

Finally, ET is not the "final" development for temperament.  It was known
throughout the history of Western music of the 16th, 17th, 18th & 19th
Centuries but consistently rejected specifically because it appealed to
virtually no one.  Only in the 20th Century has the idea of Equality in
temperament had any appeal at all. Yet, it has been force-fed to virtually
everyone by  tuners, scientists and engineers, not by musicians.

In my opinion, the general public would rarely choose ET if everyone were
truly well informed about what keyboard tonality is and how to work with it.
The easiest way to "prove " that an HT "won't work" is to play the piano as if
it were tuned in ET.  The HT's  demand a sensitive pianist.  ET teaches people
to play with very diminished sensitivity because there is no need for it.
Therefore, when the powerful or quiet tonalities of the HT's are played with
insensitivity,  the music sounds "wrong".

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin