Square grands

Mark Graham magraham@bw.edu
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 10:00:15 -0400 (EDT)

My wife took a call from someone yesterday -- they had found a square
grand in an antiques store in a small town a hundred miles away, would I
go look at it, they want it restored to top-notch condition, want it as a
musical instrument AND a piece of furniture, it's just perfect, rosewood,
etc., etc., etc. You could probably write the script yourself from memory.

Like most, I won't work on it. I like them, yes they are beautiful, but
they're in another category from what I do. I would not recommend one to
anyone as a satisfying, all-purpose musical instrument.

But this woman is insisting she wants it restored from top to bottom. I
don't know anyone who works on them. Who can she call for such work? Is
there anyone who just routinely rebuilds square grands of no particular
historical importance?

Mark Graham
Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music