Breaking strings...

DGPEAKE@aol.com DGPEAKE@aol.com
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 22:25:33 EDT

<<
 I'm a newbie at tuning and ran across this situation- I was tuning an
 old (1920's) Edward Mason grand with the original strings. A quarter of
 the way through, pop! broke a treble string. No problem, I need the
 practice installing strings.Then pop!, another one.
 Pop...pop...pop...all the way up to ten broken treble strings, five or
 six notes apart, before I quit.  Yes, I used liquid wrench on the vbar
 and agraffes.  My question is-  how many strings should one break before
 declaring the piano untunable and in need of a restringing or
 rebuilding.  The owner is only interested in having it "tuned."  Any
 advice?

 Phil Ryan
 Associate, PTG
 pryan2@bellsouth.net

 Are you charging for the strings you break?  3 or 4 in a row is time to stop
and have a serious discussion about a stringing job, or replacing the piano.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR