In-Piano Records Revisited

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 11:15:20 EDT

rootfamily@erols.com writes:

<< Fourteen cards!?  Now there's a puzzler.  The standard joke around here
 is that we use the card stock to shim key slips, grand actions, etc.
 :-) >>

That's what I use them for too, when needed.  I have a collection of about 300
cards and also a mayonnaise jar full of pre-1965 coins that I have found in
pianos.

The piano dealer I work for keeps a computer file of everything that was done
on each piano, each time.  But for my own customers, I keep no records other
than the invoice which I fill out and seldom refer to later.  When I come to
the piano the next time, I seem to remember everything about it.  If it has
been a long time, what does it matter then?  What matters today is its present
condition,  not what might have been done or not been done any time in the
past. Not wanting to sound arrogant, so no offense to Ron but I have always
considered dates or anything else written in a piano to be "graffiti" and as
such, is defacing to the instrument.

When another tuner comes across a piano that I have cared for and finds it
clean, well aligned and regulated, up to pitch but in an *unequal*
temperament, he/she will know who was there last.  I can tell who has been
there last as well when I find a dirty, unattended action, off-pitch, reverse-
well temperament condition.  If there have been "repairs", those often serve
as a "calling card" in themselves.  The name might as well be written on it.

It is surprising how very often, the most substandard work is accompanied by
either a calling card or graffiti.  I'm with those who make what were recently
called "invisible" repairs.  The only difference between the hammer shank or
the string that is replaced is the lack of patina on the new material.  Clean,
in order, up to pitch in a musical tuning is the calling card that I prefer to
leave.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin